How do you like the sound of a dessert that’s not only raw, but also free from gluten, grains, dairy, eggs and sugar? This vegan and paleo-friendly lemon cheesecake from The Real Foodies ticks all the boxes and is also big enough to share around for a special occasion. The recipe serves 12–16, but you can halve the filling ingredients for a more modest size. Find this recipe among many other allergy-friendly dishes in The Real Foodies Cookbook: Real Food for Real People.
2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
rind from 2-3 lemons
4 cups cashews, soaked and drained
1 cup coconut oil
juice of 4 lemons, approx. 1/2 cup
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4–1/2 cup maple syrup
pinch of salt
lemon slices and rind
- Place 4 cups of cashews in container and cover with warm water. Sit in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- To make the crust, combine almond meal, coconut, dates, coconut oil, cinnamon and lemon rind in a processor and process until mix sticks when squeezed together.
- Pour mix into a spring-form tin and press down using the back of a spoon to create a firm base. Sit aside while you make the filling.
- For the filling, drain and rinse soaked cashews and place in processor, mixing on high until a butter forms.
- Add in 1 cup of coconut oil and blend again until you have a consistent smooth mix. Add the lemon juice, coconut milk, maple syrup and salt and blend on high until well combined.
- Pour filling mix onto the base and compact gently but firmly using a spoon or spatula. Be careful not to leave air bubbles, which will make gaps in the sides of your cake. Flatten the top of the cake using a baker’s scraper or spoon.
- Decorate with lemon rind, slices of lemon or your favourite nuts.
Photography by Justin Smith, MLDMedia. All works remain the legal and intellectual property of The Real Foodies™ – REAL FOOD AUSTRALIA and MLDMedia.